Book Review: Belong by N.B. Baker 4

Belong

by N.B. Baker 

Goodreads

Amazon

 .

When everything is stacked against you,
sometimes surviving only happens when you find that one person in the world and the one place you truly…
Belong.Sarah: 

This world can beat you down.

Make you feel worthless.

Swallow you up in its darkness.

In the blink of an eye the people I loved more than anything, were taken from me.

Leaving me alone with no one but my abusive father.

If you get told you’re worthless often enough, you start to believe it.

You drink it in until it poisons your soul.

That was my life…until Justin.

Justin:

The minute I saw Sarah, I knew she was special.

I wanted to claim her then, but she wasn’t ready.

Seeing her again, I know I’m done waiting.

I want her.

I’m not stopping until I make her see how special she is.

I want her to look in the mirror and see the woman I see, the woman who was made for me. Sarah thinks she doesn’t deserve me.

She doesn’t think I can understand the pain inside of her.

I have the same darkness inside of me.

I just need her to believe in herself and in me.

In us.

Can two damaged souls learn to trust and lean on each other?

Can they put their past behind them and learn just how beautiful life can be together?

Or when tragedy strikes, will it all be lost forever?

 .

My Rating:

 

Favorite Quotes:

 

Debbie Double D doesn’t think I’m all that funny. She’s got a look on her face like she just ate the lime with no tequila.

 

Justin, I can hardly walk and chew gum at the same time. I swear the floor hates me and all chairs and walls are nothing but a bunch of bullies.

 

Yesterday’s pain has got nothing on what I feel like right now. It’s like Mac truck versus Godzilla with a little Freddy Krueger mixed in.

 

Fine! Stop begging me. I’ll go watch you with no shirt on, getting all sweaty, and doing all kinds of manly stuff. God, stop twisting my arm. Just know, I will only be watching you for educational purposes. It will not be for personal enjoyment at all.

 

 

My Review:

 

Taken in totality, N.B. Baker has created an engaging story and populated it with enticing and endearing characters to love as well as depraved and loathsome villains to despise and revile. The premise and major storylines of Belong were unique and interesting while the writing was laced with humor, sizzling sensual scenes, provocative inner musings and a heartbreaking family dynamic of abuse and loss. I adored this frisky couple and reveled in their ‘zing’ and sweet playfulness.   That was until Sarah went off the rails following a life-altering trauma and became exasperating and extremely annoying, of course, I myself am always a total and utter delight following a life-altering trauma.  In all honesty, I greatly enjoyed 75% of this book, however, within the remaining 25% the author, unfortunately, employed several of my least favorite tropes which tarnished my pleasure, but that is just my personal taste. Thankfully Sarah finally pulled her cranium out of her hindquarters and secured that sweet and oh so satisfying HEA.

About the Author

N.B. Baker 

Goodreads  /  Amazon  / Twitter  Author N.B. Baker

I’m Iowa born; but now I reside in Wyoming with my husband and children, including our four-legged children, Kiera and Jade. I love to write in the spare time I have after working forty hours in the financial world and playing wife and mom (a.k.a. chef, doctor, housekeeper, taxi driver, zookeeper, homing device, and much more).

 

4 thoughts on “Book Review: Belong by N.B. Baker

  1. Reply Cia Black Nov 11,2017 8:22 am

    Your candor is very appreciated in your reviews. It’s good to know that while the book captivated you attention you also inform us of the latter.

  2. Reply Gemma Jackson Nov 11,2017 8:38 am

    I do love your reviews. Thanks for this one.
    Gemma @ http://www.gemmasbooknook.blogspot.com

  3. Reply Bewitched Reader Nov 11,2017 8:46 am

    Great review. I always appreciate when reviewers point out the aspects of a story they enjoy along with those they did not.

  4. Reply Katie @ Book Ink Reviews Nov 12,2017 4:32 pm

    Awesome review. I always love reading your opinions. I hate when trauma makes a character unlikeable. Just because it is realistic doesn’t mean it should be used in a storytelling mode unless that is the specific point.

Share your Thoughts

%d bloggers like this: